Wednesday, July 12, 2006

elainities update

  1. I have been away slightly, from the computer anyway, because I have been busy; with work, resting, Calvin. The house is still in a mess.

  2. The DVD player is very officially kaput. I will need to buy a new home theatre system of sorts. Stupid Sony.

  3. I just finished reading Banana Yoshimoto's Lizard, a collection of short stories. Ordinarily I don't like short stories: they take you nowhere, they are merely thoughts on paper with no life-blood, but merely some philosophy, like an essay disguised. I finally decided to try Yoshimoto because of a reader's suggestion some time back, since he knew I liked Murakami. They are rather similar in their tendencies towards the introspective, only so far, it think that Murakami has explained his characters' lives and thoughts much clearer. I will probably try her other books to make my views more balanced.

  4. I just finished my girly share of chick-lit, through my favourite chick-lit author Marian Keyes's Watermelon. I like Marian Keyes because she writes well despite being in the chick-lit genre, and I hardly touch very many other chick-lit authors.

  5. I went and procured myself a copy of Gregory David Robert's Shantaram after checking it out at Joseph's suggestion. Will be reading it next, together with

  6. In the Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami. I actually resisted buying it for about a year, when it was still lurking in shelves no one knew about. I read it standing up in bookstores over extended repeated visits to the bookshops, and stopped somewhere, and now I have it to continue. Apparently Ryu Murakami is one of Haruki Murakami's favourite writers, or at least one of them.

  7. I just went to collect my copy of The Long Tail at the post office today.

No comments:

Post a Comment