Sunday, January 14, 2007

is there such a thing as intelligent chick-lit?

Actually, yes. Marian Keyes, to me. Or Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones Diaries, and two-hit wonder Emma Gold.


This book I just finished, was a disappointment. The story is actually passable, but the characters' details are splayed out much more like nutritional facts and figures on a tin can or cereal box, instead of the way good writers do it: introduce them to you like these were real people, just like you are, and then you become friends with them. Definitely not easy, but I suppose one could publish when such is achieved and not before.


It has been disappointing trying to find new chick-lit authors that are actually good at what they do. Hence I continue almost completing all of Marian Keyes' collection with my next exploit.


(Don't judge me for reading chick-lit: what is an intelligent life without tireless entertainment?)

No comments:

Post a Comment