Tuesday, August 9, 2005

about drinking

Today, I chatted with my primary school friend Vance on ICQ, and one thing we mentioned was about how unhealthy for us (my body, his wallet) it was to drink so much.


I have to say this. I have only been pukey-drunk three times in my life, out of which, only two times I really did puke, and once only was I on the point of forgot-all-happened-last night, even then, only nearly.


The first time, was with my parents - between us we had three bottles of red wine. I puked and hungover, worse ever also cos it is wine. The second, was when somebody put something - hard liquor of sorts, source unconfirmed - into a jug of beer we were drinking. This was in JB with my Citibank ex-colleagues. The third, was when I still was yet to be very steady at drinking a collective variety of alcoholic drinks in one night. It was Flora's hen night with my ODAC friends from JC. Mingzhao mis-heard a drink order of mine and anyway, it was a party night meant to be blown out anyway. The next day, I went to work and sold unit trusts like the trustworthy banker I was. Anyway, those were instances years ago.


Right now, I can do all of the above, and remain rather sober at that I believe. Okay, meaning I will be happy, crazier and clumsier than usual, but I will not puke nor get a hangover (unless wine, then I get a tummy ache).


Which means to say, I have become someone who drinks too much. It has to be more than enough, because otherwise how else am I now able to hold my liquor so well? That, I regret, because it really is unhealthy. Such a habit is something my best friend H will rap me about. Also because he wants me to save money.


Which I do because I can drink at home.


At my home, I have a bottle of Glenfiddich single malt from C. He and I both love it. C will drink it neat, and I, on the rocks. Sometimes I put it in my beer. Also, I always have beer in the fridge, and there is a bottle of white wine in there too, a gift from another primary school friend Joseph. Jan has a bottle of Absolut vodka, which she hardly touches. I am not keen on vodka either but it is cool sometimes, for the sake of it. Right now, there is also a bottle of Sheridan's coffee liquer from another primary schoolmate - Junjie. Which I haven't touched since the party at my place.


All that said, I enjoy having a drink at home just to chill out at night. Usually just one, and not every night. But yes, this is something I do enjoy, and it has become somewhat of a 'hobby' to me.


My cell group asked everyone what we did to relieve stress.


This is one thing I do.


Apart from writing. But, at that point when I was asked, I only said, being alone, and writing - that is what I do to chill.


- I couldn't tell everyone present that night at cell, because my cell leader will (be the only one to) disapprove, because he comes from the school of thought that Christians cannot drink. At all. No touch, no try.


Which I disagree, because, it is like the concept of money - that it is not evil in itself, but loving it is. Or in this case, becoming drunk on it is.


So, which I mentioned, I don't get drunk easily anymore, because I can have 6 drinks in a night, all different, and make it home very happily, no puke, no hangover. Just enjoyment of tasting and consuming them, like they were coffees or teas - which I also love - it is wonderful enough, chill bliss to me.

1 comment:

  1. Well,nothing wrong with drinking seriously.But its more like "each to his/her own" kind of thing.If you don't drink,doesn't make you a stronger Christian or maybe "Holier".Just don't get drunk or get involved in anything bad and its good enough.Get your high and yet still stay in control,there's all to it.Just gotta know your limit.

    Lets say you know this fellow Christian who abstains from alcohol,just respect each other's choices and don't attempt to pull each other to the either side.For example guys having long hair,tattoos.

    There's nothing wrong for guys to have long hair as a Christian,just make sure you keep it neat and tidy.if you want to ink your skin,sure,go ahead.Maybe you wanna ink some deep thoughts or whatever you know.Just not to the extreme.

    Money is amoral too.Many people are mistaken when they say "money is the root of all evil".Money is something that's dead.It can't talk or breathe.Its the MAN's possessiveness of the money that's the problem.Perfectly nothing wrong with having abit more money as long as its by the legal means and not by underhand ways of course.haha

    There are people who think that you must not be rich,must be dressed shabbily,no funky hairstyles,square glasses and squares are a must,cannot afford to buy even the slightest branded stuff or else they say that you are not "HOLY". These are all the wrong perceptions of Christians and it still exists.

    Let me share with you a real life story.
    I was a Christian once.When I was 17,I went and got myself this haircut,whereby they do this "overlap" thing on the sides and the back.Attended cellgroup and the next thing I know,I got critised for my so called "extravagant" haircut by the cellgroup leader.Saying that I am not representing the church well and its not good to project such an image.
    I myself personally felt that there was nothing wrong with my haircut,I don't even feel that I've done anything wrong.But these people do.Everyone around thought that the haircut was cool but not the cell leader.So just because he says so,everyone has to follow suit? Pls,sometimes I think that the cell members gotta have their own discernment sometimes and don't always rely on the cell leader. Few years after that incident,I see more and more people with funky hairstyles and soon people in the church understood that there are things that are amoral.
    Well great for them,cause I got it up my ass for a harmless haircut compared to what people sport now.

    ReplyDelete