Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Hard-boiled Wonderland and The End Of The World

I finished the third of my 'Buy 3 for 2' Haruki Murakami books.




wail...




Now I need to feed this book to others so that I can talk about it with someone without adulterating anyone's experience of the book! If you haven't read it, I can't talk to you about it! I have already spoilt H's experience of it by telling him the entire story, minus the details about librarians, beer, whiskey, cigarettes and INKlings.




The sci-fi in this book is rubbish, highly rhetorical, and as impossible as it is to teleport human beings. Hah.




The protagonist, is classic Murakami-style. Cat-lover, abandoned husband, avid drinker of whiskeys, reader of classics, and devours jazz music. Nameless loner. Typical of dear Haruki.




He sees beauty in the simplest of beauties. Sounds like he could fall in love with me. Sigh.. Haruki...




Murakami is not afraid to tell of his weakness. Reading him, I find it easier to write as a man without having to be egotistical and chauvinistic as a regular male. Apart from heart-wrenching emotional dependence on lovers and such, he writes about his sexual weaknesses. He talks of being unable to have an erection when he needs one - in this book, I believe is because he is losing slates of his consciousness in this world. Also, in the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, he talks of giving in to BJs by unknown women in his dreams - and waking up to the damp aftermath of it. As an 30-something adult male. Both protaganists sound sheepish admitting to these happenings.




Ultimately though, my favourite Murakami novel, is still my first -


Norwegian Wood.




Kizuki, his best friend, Naoko, his best friend's girlfriend, and Midori, the girl he met that brought him out of his depression.




Simple things like friendship, the crazy girl-next-door and everyday happenings, make Murakami's protaganists happy men enough.




After reading Hard-boiled, now, I really feel like whiskey, beer and jazz. H will smoke and read the classics for me, since I really abhor Somerset Maugham and have only truly enjoyed one classic author - D H Lawrence.




In the meantime, enjoy the music on dearie Haruki's website. Enchanting. Keemin found it for me months ago.





Many thanks to Edmund, who fuelled my passion for Murakami because he let me know there were other of his fans around.

3 comments:

  1. have u read rule of 4? trying to finish reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, its Org Theory. I don't really like it. The only theory in OT that I fancy is institutional theory.

    Buy 3 for 2... hmmm. Here's a trivia: Do you know the markup for books are somewhere between 40-60%?

    Nice hair cut BTW, :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Z:
    I liked Org Theory, wish I was still studying. My mind is dulling.

    Thanks for the compliment :) I really do look like a boy you know.

    E

    ReplyDelete