Sunday, November 20, 2005

bourgeois friday, chic weekend, adult thoughts

It started with us waking up at lunchtime at his place.


I wore my new skirt, which only cost me $10, and my signature black top, heels and my Coach bag. Calvin was taking me shopping for my outfit for next Saturday's wedding event.


He has said this before, that I am a closet tai-tai. I agreed with him eventually. This was because he mentioned that his family bought and installed ceiling fans in the back porch so that they could have barbecues, and I said, 'Ee, smoky." I guess that meant something.


I must have said other similar things before, subconsciously. I thought about my closet tai-tai fantasies, and realised that perhaps I could do what I need to do on this earth in the capacity of a upper-crust homemaker and wife, aka Marx's private prostitute. I already work from home, and I want to do missions and other welfare work, something that tai-tais do whether it be for the right reasons or not. Maybe this is proof that God indeed knows the desires of my heart, and will grant them to me if I put Him first, isn't that great?


I am not a materialistic, anti-feminist capitalist, I must disclaim. I do however believe that the one in subservience is the one in power, where men and women are concerned. And I do not mind being the one in seeming second-place, because when you empower a man, you are the one in power indeed. Subservience suits me, despite my woman-on-top tendencies. They go hand in hand, really.


C's mom gave me a $50 Taka voucher for my birthday, as well as a high tea 1-for-1 voucher at Orchard Hotel. We headed to town when we were all prettified and perfumed, and started our high tea at 3pm.


High teas are luxuries beyond compare, by Singaporean standards, and in my own judgement. I mean, we have just eaten lunch right, and you will be eating dinner eventually. What constitutes teatime should be mere coffee and pastry - one serving only - and nothing more. But with the invention of high tea, buffet no less, you eat, a lot.


So we did, at just $26+ for 2 people, thanks to C's mom. We had fondue, ice cream, cake, brownie, pudding, dessert hors d'oevres, as well as savouries like chicken wings, laksa, chu-bi-berng. I had endless cups of coffee, which I needed because I was still sleepy.


Decadence, indeed.


After that we went shopping for a 'dress' for me, but of course I ended up with separates and with shoes to match. C paid for everything. You will find out what I bought after K and S's wedding this weekend. I will wear the clothes (and shoes) at other instances also, for sure. Everything cost C about $200 - my birthday present.


We shopped for five hours, and had a quickie dinner before a movie (C's idea, no less). We watched Oliver Twist, a classic, which fed my literary inclinations, so it was okay. See, I am already speaking like a bourgeois lady.


After the movie we went home to C's place, and had some birthday cake with his parents, lovely ice cold cookies-and-cream ice-cream cake, in the warm glow of the living room at about midnight. It was lovely.


The next day, before our separate dinner plans, we went to select some chairs for C's house, at an office furniture shop near my place. We stumbled upon a warehouse sale of IT goods, in a carpark. Talk about a road show with a twist! I bought a 512MB thumb drive for $60+ and a CD-RW drive for $33, using the angpow money I got from my parents for my birthday. C bought a new LCD monitor which was also a TV, for about $500+.


After stopping at home for a break and to get dressed again, I went out with my JC ODAC friends for a hen-nite/stag-nite party because two of them are getting married in the weeks ahead. We had a fabulous dinner at Sushi Tei at Paragon - I got us a VIP room - and dinner cost us only $15 per head. After that we headed to Zouk because Jean's - the bride's to be - friends were there. Phuture was good - breaks and beats. There is more seating space in Phuture now, though the chairs are entirely uncomfortable. Drinks were lovely. We had some vodka in Winebar before that and at Phuture itself I had a few beers, a few Chivas-on-the-rocks.


Supper after that with Calvin was even better.


He told me the most romantic things. That the reason why we couldn't get married yet was for no other reason but that he wasn't happy with his job.


He is not undecided about me, it means. How many men can say that about me? I want to marry this one.


At twenty-six, I am finally adult enough to marry and settle down just like so many of my friends who have walked this route. I often fantasise about a life I would lead without marrying. It always ends up with lonely others, and I will always be too frightened to start a relationship. I might have one-night-stands with exes, or spend time with different men. I had a glimpse of a similar life, in between H and C. It may have been chic and happening, the swinging singleserves lifestyle, but I come to decide that I would rather not. I think it is like having children, that it may seem unglamourous to those outside, but to those involved, the safe route is actually the route to take at least for this one. If C should leave me just like the rest, then I suppose I would end up reverting to that chic lonely life. After all, what is certain except for God Himself? I always start a relationship hoping and planning for it to be the last. But so far my hit rate has been nil. I would be ready to take on the single lonely route, but as for now, it may no longer be necessary, because of lovely C.


I awoke Sunday lunchtime with a mild hangover, which I got rid of with glasses of cranberry/kiwi juice. Afterwards I slept loads again, completely forgetting about housework, which I will do tomorrow in between doing my day's work. I hope to have more sleep soon, dreamless preferably, and without violent tossing. C complained that I punched him in my sleep on Saturday morning. Thankfully he is sleeping at his own place tonight, and I, at mine.

1 comment:

  1. You sound so blissful, dearie E! Am happy for you and you know, I've never seen you so much in love before as now with C. =))))

    *hugs*

    I am looking fwd to hearing Silver Bells and sleighbells and wedding bells from your side of the world.

    Happy belated (oops) birthday, E!

    ReplyDelete