Thursday, November 24, 2005

review of frankie's play



Update: I am reviewing my review on this, in order to give it more justice, that it deserves.


Read Frankie's self-written synopsis on the play.


It is based on Cyril Wong's poetry. I am not one to have memorised local poets, but after watching a play that translates words into visual, theatrical display, I am keen now to know more about this Singaporean poet.


It got me started on reading his poetry.


Few poets move me with their words...


Frankie and his team chose the poems and strung them into a story, and thereafter punctuated them seamlessly with songs, conversation, props, other poems and bits of prose.


No it is not a musical, thankfully. I still maintain, that I really do not enjoy musicals.


Bits of the poetry were presented in textual display - art in itself, written poetry soometimes without verbalising it audibly - overhead, forming the backdrop. I like this, though some may not. It was however too high above the action on stage; non-habitual subtitle readers may not acclimatise well.


The fact that this is a multimedia performance, in a different, less in-your-face way, and that is abstracted without losing meaning, comprehension and allure, it is a severely good setup. It can outdo performances that I paid for and attended in similar or even larger capacities.


That said, the only thing that I may not like about it, is that, it should have been a bigger event.

No comments:

Post a Comment