Thursday, May 25, 2006

new reads

I want to read Peter Carey's new book, Theft.



I really enjoyed his "True History of the Kelly Gang", as I am intrigued by many books that allow me into the subculture, culture, or history of a people. Unfortunately that content alone will not do for me as a troublesome reader, as I also need witty writing that is intelligent or at least poetic. Hence regular bestsellers will not do most of the time, since most regular people read stuff that to me is boring: DVC, Memoirs, Tuesdays, etc. Amazing content perhaps, but written in trite.



Hence I hope Theft will be buy-worthy, and allow me to devour it in bed every night till I am done to give it a rest on my bookshelf until the next time.



An excerpt from the book as taken from New Yorker:



We had been born walled out from art, had never guessed it might exist, until we slipped beneath the gate or burnt down the porter’s house, or jemmied the bathroom window, and then we saw what had been kept from us, in our sleepouts, in our outside dunnies, our drafty beer-hoppy public bars, and then we went half mad with joy.


I want to go half mad with joy too, it is not enough to just be normal and mundane.



As for now, I will just sink in and read Jane Eyre tonight. I want to take all these fabulous words and words, and writers to bed with me tonight. Half mad with joy, rather sober and in love with all things in my world. Such as chocolate, ice-cream and beer too. Check, check and check. It's about time.

No comments:

Post a Comment