Thursday, March 2, 2006

In the SOHO:

Today we set up the room in my house that is to be our office. H moved over the things from his place with a rented lorry, driver, and Karin, and now we have a proper workspace for real again.


One side of the room, against the lengthwise stretch of wall that is opposite the windows, are the workstations in the form of two tables side by side, where my computer now sits on. These tables were the tables from our previous studio: longish white rectangular ones, with staid black metal legs. There are also two previously-bedside tables, and they are now workstation add-ons under and beside these white rectangular tables, acting as drawer units for stationery and the like. One is for the fax machine cum telephone, which I have brought it from the living room bench. Another drawer unit that used to be under my table in my bedroom, that I placed the laser printer on, is now also part of the workstation, housing also the CPU tower and the scanner. Tomorrow, we will add to these tables, three new black swivel chairs that cost us about $43 each.


Facing the other lengthwise stretch of wall - the one in front of the windows, is our big table which is meant for meetings and artwork. Huge, with two 'legs' that act also as storage stands (housing now, all kinds of paper for water colours, markers, acrylics, etc. and the other, the camera tripod). Pulled out away from the windows, we can use it as a conference type of table for larger-scale meetings and trainings. On top of the huge table now, is a huge A2 size cutting mat, a small dustbin, paper towels, an old-skool T-square purely for the artsy feel, and a stack of students' artworks on Masonite boards.


The wall right next to the door to the room, has full-length cupboards, really deep ones. We have all our art materials within, with space to spare, labels, compartments in plastic boxes, trays, cartons, in drawers, dangling S-hooks, and H even repaired the one of the cupboard doors that was spoilt.


The final wall - yes, it is an ordinary rectangular room with four walls in total - has two cantilever shelves, and now with another metal shelf beneath them, next to the has-been dressing table and half-length mirror. The shelves are full to their brims, and so is the space under the has-been dressing table. This wall is filled with boxes (some empty, used for storage and removal of our hardware, some full, such as the Wacom tablet and the Creative speakers meant for the new computer to come).


This room is air-conditioned, as I am seated here now, feet on the cosy laminate flooring, typing with my arms rested on my makeshift wrist-rest that once was a piece of sarong cloth - still is, actually. My mousepad is still a cutting mat and I still have a calendar in front of me and a coaster by my side for the quintessential work-accompaniment drink.


Since I now have work to do in preparation for tomorrow, this room is brilliant, as are the replenishment of my bookshelf in the form of more art&design books from H's place. I am happy as I go about my bacon-generating activities. Being a 'workaholic', is a great thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment