Sunday, March 19, 2006

the weekend in shreds of happenings:

The highlight of the weekend included drinks at Phuture - only three albeit a good recovery from my alcohol-dryness. It was a sign, the ability to drink again with a body void of NSAIDS and other related medicines - it meant I was getting better. I had a Chivas on the rocks, a Heineken long-neck and a gin and tonic. The last drink is a deviant from my usual but I really needed a slightly-stiff bitter alcoholic drink with a wedge of lime - that was NOT vodka because I am definitely not in a sissy mood. Gin is so hard to drink sometimes that is really makes you suffer for the pleasure, and elongates the longevity of the drink taken in at the bar, with a lovely someone by your side as an accompaniment - and the company lasts. Somehow the weariness of the weeks past fades away for the rest of the night, when you relax with a good drink - alcohol or otherwise really. (Coffee or tea or juice will suffice, unfortunately there are too many associations these drink-genres have with working hours. Seldom do people drink at work. I almost never drink before 6pm, or at least I try. But coffees and the like imply a need for sustenance to return to work, instead of getting away from it.)



We went home rather early and despite my Saturday after-work evening nap till late-dinner time, I slept really easily after the short-ish night had ended. It was a good sleep: in a position and orientation unusual to the way I normally sleep, which would be vertical and near the edge so I can hear/switch off the alarm when it goes off, instead I slept with things still on my bed, perhaps the light still on (I don't remember) and with my feet pointing at the door which was ajar throughout the night. The waste of the night was that I awoke early the next day twice (not including the alarm, which was meant to call me up for church) because of two prank calls on my house phone. Wtf? But then the second one jolted me up for good and I made it to church without being more than an hour late. Church is good. I just wish it was in the evening.



Throughout the afternoon till now I nursed a headache for I-have-no-idea-what-reason. The headache climaxed when I was in a cab on my way to my student's house after lunch while I was marking her assignment. It hasn't gone away since. Looks like I am back to the whole rubbish of being ill. I came home after one lesson instead of the usual two lessons I do on Sunday, and napped till late and had an arduous time getting myself a late dinner.



I would write more about the weekend to complete the story but I am in need of sleep sleep and more sleep.



And where sleep is concerned: I wish I could wake up much later after I go to bed, perhaps in a week - and maybe in my parents' house in JB where I would not have to face the gruelling shitty pleasure I call work, for perhaps a year. No my job does not suck - I do, but that is another story - but I am being worn down and aged, to a point where I wonder if the rest of the world is still waiting for me while I plow away. Probably not. My parents will be older, my biological children will be thirty years apart in age from me, at the very least, I will not get to see my Calvin more than I do already, which is seriously still not enough nourishment to my soul where this brand of vitamin C is concerned. But heck it, I will go sleep and just live each day and savour each bite-sized moment, and hope nobody bothers me while I am at it.



They say children have faith, and teenagers have passion - at least that is how I interpret the general opinions. So what are we bloody adults left with - wisdom perhaps? But it is not as fun as passion. I rather have the passion and listen to others for their wisdom. It is not very fun being an adult sometimes - everything gets so desensitised and blah. Sex is uncomfortable instead of pleasurable (sometimes); you infuse yourself with alcohol and manage to walk out of the bar without tripping over, instead of having drunk and do silly dances ala Ridley's and Kylie style (not that I ever did anyway, this I heard from H from years ago); eating becomes a chore and a responsibility sometimes, instead of the bingefests that teenagers can do almost guiltlessly, at least I know I was definitely like that when I was younger. Desensitised desensitised. I just want to go and sleep now and really never wake up for a week.

1 comment: