Thursday, January 26, 2006

noise! - updated

There are men all over my block - yes, all over - drilling and hacking into the walls and floors adjoining all at the same time.



Imagine how upset I must be right now! My pandora.com is on maximum volumes now, but they-who-drill-and-hack are still louder. I have even called the police for help. Yes, I am that desperate.



I am thinking of the following:
1. Wrapping a pillow around my head the whole day since I don't have ear plugs. But I need to do work today because I have to bloody submit a deadline. So I can't.
2. Lining the walls with aluminium foil to keep them out. Yes I am starting to think like a schizophrenic.
3. Bringing my ice-cold cans of Carlsberg to them to bribe them to stop for the rest of the day. Or maybe paying them some too.



It doesn't help when I am already sensorarily sensitive. Windchimes irritate me - I hate them. I hate bright headlights from cars, they blind me. I hate crowds because they are too near me, therefore I hate town on weekends. I hate dirty public toilets; I almost puke almost everytime I step inside one. When I enter my cubicle, I cannot help but cough. I have had nightmares about dirty toilets. Cantonese soups, or some kinds of ingredients within, give me headaches.



So, just imagine how terrible this noise is right now.



SHUT UP!!!



Update:
They are still at it.


And just a while ago, my electricity tripped while I was doing my work. They can't do that! I went upstairs to look: they are bloody renovating THREE flats at the SAME time. The whole block is a mess; I felt sick just walking outside my flat. I asked who is doing the renovation - it is bloody HDB.

I called the police again - always have your NPC number on hand, I say. Geylang NPC policemen are really nice, I must say.

They said that they will come.

I called bloody HDB to complain. Which of course we all know, being the bloody civil service, they will only log in a feedback form and it dies there. The guy on the phone was helpful enough though, at least, in fact the HDB frontliners have all to date been very helpful within their sad civil servant existence. He called the person who is in charge of all this renovation and they said they will stop and clean up at 6pm today.

He asked whether I would like the person in charge to call me. I said, no. Just get them to bloody stop hacking three flats at a time in a small block where there are people living in it! This is not a block under construction! And exercise bloody due diligence and not cut off residents' electricity supply! And for goodness sake, clean up the mess now, and confine it to the place you are involved in. Not the WHOLE BLOCK! And for goodness sake, if you are gonna do something so major: please inform the residents.

Fuck HDB.

Anyway, the police are coming.



2nd Update:
I believe the police came - I stayed in my flat with the doors closed, so I am not 100% sure - because I heard them clearing the mess and the noise has died down much.

The techical guy in charge at HDB called me after all. He said, 'Electricity cut-off was accident only mah.' I said that's not the point! What if I was not at home, on Chinese New Year holiday, and then the power tripped and I was not around to flip it back on? Then all the food in the fridge spoil lah?. Well, basically I gave him a good scolding because he kept evading the blame. No sorries, not a single apology. I said, if HDB sent a letter to tell us residents, then at least we would know and be prepared for an issue like this. But no. He said, 'I believe the contractors put up notices.' Notices where? For who to see? I don't see any notices! I said, 'You come and see for yourself, what notice at the staircase langing? There is no notice.' And the mess should be confined to your flat and to the dumpster downstairs. Why is there rubbish everywhere!? Anyway, like I said, no apologies. No shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment