Wednesday, June 7, 2006

Dignity

What is this thing called Dignity?


I scarcely knew it till hours before: Till that hour I have never fought for it that belongs to me, nor even yet known it intimately.


Slaves have no dignity; their only dignity lies in serving their master, and Dignity is accorded to their master thusly. All that is fine, if we are still living in the age before the abolishment of slavery, if the Veil had not been torn, if Jew and Gentile have not come under the same household of Christ.


Unfortunately I forgot. I took my pride in slavery, and abolished Dignity instead. (In that sentence when I first wrote it I still forgot to make it in the past tense instead of the present).


Now I look her in the eye and say, "I need you back. God has not intended that we be apart, allowing me to be trampled upon like snakes."


I am not a peon of Satan. I may be weak, a mere mortal man, but I am not a peon of Satan. I am more capable of love than of hate, more capable of speaking truth than of lies.


-


Then again, at what price, Dignity? I have scarcely known it, hence I barely know its worth. Justice - right from wrong - I have known. Love, I have known, and thereafter, Forgiveness. I barely know them too, but my acquaintance with them, longer.


If I forsake Dignity, Justice, Love, for mere housecleaning that is Forgiveness, will it be a worthy exchange? I have given my love but it is rejected, with dignity taken by force, and justice disregarded. Now I have room for but forgiveness, fuelled by traces of residual love. Perhaps I am meant to be trampled upon by those I love and serve.


If I fight for my dignity, to know her and behold her, to learn to earn her for myself and for others, then perhaps: I must forsake forgiveness without repentance. I must not forgive without justice served. I must not forgive because I love.


Do you understand my moral dilemma?


I am not a victim, but I am not free.

No comments:

Post a Comment