Wednesday, September 7, 2005

eerie sense of peace

Today I went to make a sales call at Marymount Convent along with some other schools in the area. The school is situated at Marymount Road, right after Thomson Road where all the florists-flora-bralaha are located.


As I was looking for the entrance to the school, I stumbled upon the actual convent - Good Shepherd Convent - located on the same site as Marymount Convent.


I didn't know it was the wrong entrance I used. I had immediately assumed that, the convent was the school -


So I walked in.



And experienced what I call, an eerie sense of peace.




As I walked into the convent grounds, I experienced a real quiet. Like as if in a retreat, a haven, an avalon almost. The trees, they looked like they were talking to me, really alive. When I noticed them talking, that was when I realised I felt rather creeped. A convent - where women go and lead their lives in true celibacy and righteousness. Where they experience a peace unlike any of understanding, to the point of being surreal, becomes, in my terms, eerie.


It creeped me so, especially when I realised I stepped into the wrong place. There was not a single soul. Person, I should say person.


At that point, I left and on my way out, stepped into an inhabited kindergarten office to find out where the school was.


Thereafter, I found myself less spooked walking into the actual primary school. Though, upon seeing the picture of the founder - dead, of course - and, - a nun too - I tripped over a step and nearly fell, scared. Too many undead pseudo-live things today. Enough. I did my job and left.


Creepy. I guess even peace comes in different brands.

2 comments:

  1. I felt vicarious fear as I read about it... spooky. Glad that nothing spookier happened though. (except for the near-fall) B careful n take care :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oxymoronic. Eerie sense of peace. I think singleness is a gift. Celibacy is like... so hard, at least for me. I always wonder what is in the mind of someone who decides lead a life of celibacy. What is it in them that is so different from others that they can celibate.

    I have a friend's aunty who is a nun. She worked closely with Mother Teresa when she was alive. If I remember correctly, she have one week's (or something close to that figure) leave for every 10 years she serve. I cannot imagine how I can do it. I respect them their tenacity and singlemindedness.

    ReplyDelete