Saturday, September 10, 2005

murders

one thought: it must be a bloody foreigner.


And I was right.


These people who come from everywhere have been marring our landscape, breaking the treasure we hold dear - being able to feel safe on our streets at any time of day.


Once, my friend Brian nearly got robbed at knifepoint by a Bangla worker.


Then we have the Chinese women who peddle themselves at Joo Chiat illegally.


(We also have Chinese women who steal our men but that is beside the point).


We have had the other murders that involved non-native Singaporeans.


I could once brag to my mom and dad, who are currently staying in Malaysia, that in Singapore, putting your wallet on the table that you eat at in the kopitiam is fine. Nobody will steal. In JB, that is a vulgar no-no. JB is a place where, if your dainty handbag is a hand carry rather than a shoulder-sling-held-at-your-front, it will definitely be snatched by a bloody motorcyclist while you are along the streets. My parents are so law-abiding in Singapore, my dad doesn't even dare stamp his finished cigarette out on the public floor, and if he does, he will pick it up and throw it away!


But now, what is this!? We have murders of the non-Singaporean usual variety. In more ways than one.


I used to think, it is great that Singapore is morphing into a true cosmopolitan city, much like New York or London, where every angle you turn in the MRT train, you hear a different language from the mouths of different races and nationalities. I used to think, no I must not be offended by those native Chinese speakers, however irritating they sound with their sharp intonations on their Mandarin.


But now, I want to say, GO HOME.


Even our sportsmen, are hardly all Singaporean. The Sports School will be filled by kids whose parents came from elsewhere and were confered national identity status by virtue of, something, that is hardly Singaporean.


I was born in KK Hospital, my IC is pink, my IC no starts with S and the sequence of numbers indicates which time of the year I was born (side note: those bloody immigrants ICs have really huge numbers that mean that they could not have possibly been born in Singapore). I have a birth cert, that is typewritten, and laminated, and processed in the 70s, when our country was promoting 'Stop at One' - something my mom comments about: 'Last time say stop at one, now say try at to have as many as possible? - the gahmen keep changing their mind! What is this man.'


Anyway, immigrants, if they are civilised, can stay, if not, they need to be severely educated 'Hao Gong Ming' style or deported back home.


Stop marring our landscape with your horrible accents and petty quarrels that lead to crimes of passion and money.


GO HOME.

1 comment: