Thursday, September 15, 2005

first blog artwork



Finally, because the camera is in my house, and so is the sample artwork I did during my teaching demonstration today.


Thanks to Pam who shared with me her photos, taken with a SLR camera on her travels and ecological escapades in Singapore and around the region.






The class today was for a group of primary school art teachers, on painting in the Impressionistic style - again! the easiest to teach for beginners - using a theme of seascapes. Yes, the school is near the sea. Hence, the theme.


Impressionism has to be semi-realistic, painted with lots of colours being emphasised, and with creative brushstrokes. Not the usual neat kind, but rather, a little blurry, and what I told the folks at school - an 'astigmatism' effect. As you can see, I emphasised the yellows and pinks a lot more than the blue, because I enjoyed the clouds swathed in pink a lot more than the impending darkness. It looks a bit orange here though, but that's because of the lighting in my living room, and my orange couch.


I stress, I am not an artist, but an art educator. Hope that is disclaimer itself!

6 comments:

  1. What is the difference between an artist and an art educator?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can one know, and thus communicate, the process of making art well without being an artist himself/herself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true.


    In the process of perfecting the profession of being an art educator, one is in the by-process of being a better artist.



    But the motivation is different. The art educator wants to be better, and so learns to make art better - making art thereby being an artist. The artist always wants to be better, for the pure sake of making art better.



    In both forms, making art better equates to perfecting skills, creative expression, and maturity of thought and ideas for communication.



    In some ways, the artist is seen to be 'for art's sake' and thereby a purist. He puts up an art exhibition and moves the public that views it and takes it in. The art educator can be seen to bastardize the purity of artistic expression because his purposes and intents are different.



    But the art educator seeks to communicate the values of art, through communicating the skills of art-making. This is how he relates with his public. Hence he will always look to perfect his teaching skills. An artist may not necessary be a good teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great.

    What was the medium? Oil? Gorache?

    I am curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acrylics! Thanks for the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Acrylic! I am surprised. That is a medium I have not experimented with. Of late, I have been utilising Painter IX, a program for oils and gorache. I have a long way to go there. What is the size of that piece?

    ReplyDelete