Monday, December 26, 2005

christmas drama

I sit here, eaten a chocolate-chip muesli bar, and with a beer, writing this as soon as I got home.


I have just returned from one of the best drama performances I have ever attended, at the MGS Auditorium, performed by superb non-artists from my ex-church. I went because I helped conceptualise and paint the backdrop with the team. But after sitting through the performance, I now know that it was my honour to have been in the audience to receive this theatrical experience.


The title of the performance is, 'Defending your life'. I cannot even begin to describe it; words will fail the impact of its presentation to the audience.


In true modern drama style, it had live music - vocal and guitar; dance, which was very well choreographed; and visual art - the backdrop we painted! and other artwork on panels at the foot of the backdrop. The drama was written and directed by Sherilyn, who I must stake claim as my Splashwurks team-mate, because she is such a gem.


I fail at writing more about it. Words will not be able to tell the experience well enough without bastardising it. I shall stop here for now.


Honestly, this tops as the icing on the Christmas cake for me. I had a great Christmas celebration.


I met so many teenagers-turned-young-adults who I knew many years ago - and I still remember almost all their names, and many of them said hello to me, and treated me as part of them even though I left their church four years ago to join my present one.


I met my old friends, to catch up on their lives, to hear stories about them being proposed to or of their career changes.


I also, not very pleasantly but, bearably, had the excruciating privilege of having all of my exes all in the same room at the same time. Too much history in one room, I say. But oh well we are all adults, and we get along civilly somehow. At least, they are all exes and not, ugh, currents.


Thanks to Sherilyn and the fabulous team, for the amazing performance that I would have shed tears whilst it happened, had it not been that I wanted to put up a non-emotional front for the rest of the audience so that I will look brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment