Sunday, October 2, 2005

jap lit and film

Recently someone I met recommended I read a rather un-newly published book: Memoirs of a Geisha.



Perhaps I should, seeing that its movie is coming out.



She recommended I read it despite the fact that I usually would not love a 'bestseller'. Yeah, I am not one of those who enjoys reading stuff like 5 people you meet in heaven blah blah. I might like this one in spite of that. Especially since it is no longer a hot-item-off-the-shelf type anymore.



Also because I am rather enamoured now of Japanese literature and such. Of course, fuelled by my darling Haruki, but also, by the Japanese Film Festival. C and I watched Letters From A Mountain. I loved it. Of course, I also was the one who chose the film. As per C's words to Kenny: "If you were looking for the senseless violence sort of action flick, this one is half-a-star." If you are in the melancholic, recovering from depression, nature-loving, spiritual or Buddhist or missions orientated mood, and if you love writing - like as much as I do would be enough - then you will love this film. I also hope to catch the others, like Tony Takitani - a Haruki Murakami short story adaptation - hopefully I can. Alas many artsy things elude me for my lack of time and companions.



Having mentioned Haruki, I will definitely save up to buy Kafka on the Shore, as well as complete reading all his other novels and short stories.




I want to read and soak more and more of these Jap lit and film. Despite their crazy anoneh culture. I can't help being entranced by well-written accounts of different cultures around the world. Australia's history, London's subcultures, Irish life, and , you will never believe it, I love reading Rockson's blog - he reminds me of Peter Carey's book on the Kelly Gang. If you haven't read it before: Peter Carey wrote in first person as Ned Kelly, completely in colloqial Irish-accented English.



Meantime, I need more books badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment