Monday, October 3, 2005

reading orgy

Silly Tampines library is located off-centre among some HDB blocks, but I found it just before dinner.


(was at Tampines visiting the schools there).


Lovely, I picked out five books and sat down with them. In the end I borrowed three of them. The other two, I will probably end up actually buying one of them. Both are good to collect.


Well, I love owning books. My bookshelf does not do me justice, I read more than this.


Unfortunately, it is dominated by girly mags (no choice must buy, plus there's both mine and Jan's - exquisite...), Murakami books, some classics like Tolstoy and DHLawrence, chick lit, and some other serious fiction I have. Because my place is now a SOHO, we also have a collection of art books. But that's about all.


It could be better.


I borrowed a book by Hanif Kureishi - loved his book called the Black Album; I borrowed Gabriel's Gift. Also, chick-lit (Shopaholic Ties the Knot), recommended by Kenny's new lady friend Eleanor. The third is an academic book called The Ephemeral Museum. I will write more about this one at Salon Solidarity.


Well the two books I passed by, both were by Milan Kundera.


I will read like crazy. Absolute favourite activity. How escapist.

3 comments:

  1. I love reading too. And I buy too much weekly at this point and have strove to reduce my spending on books. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to. But in the end I put the books back on the shelf. I will try them. Thanks for the tip. What is she like and how do you feel about them?

    E

    ReplyDelete
  3. She seems to have a preoccupation with suicide if I recall. And the subsequent recovery from a loved one who died. It has been some years since I have read her. Two books? Three? I cannot remember now. And it did seem that she carried this preoccupation through quite a few more of her work. Is she a literary lightweight in your eyes? I don't know. She may very well be.

    ReplyDelete