Sunday, October 2, 2005

memorising

I find that I have a unique style of memory.



If I read something that interests me, without actually taking notes, I can amazingly still remember the details and talk or write about it, closed-book.



I realised this when I wrote about Impressionism on Salon Solidarity. I have taught about Impressionism twice only but I can still remember all the details about the artists, the background and etc.



When I read my students' books on Social Studies and Geog, I find that I also still can remember. Like the fact that tropical monsoon forests are deciduous and have 3 layers, whereas tropical rainforests have 5 layers and are evergreen. Or that North Ireland is made up of the Protestants and that Republic of Ireland is made of the Catholics (I just read that today).



I also remember quotes, though I may not remember the sources exactly.



Perhaps I am really too far literal a learner. I need to train the other disciplines of my mind.

3 comments:

  1. i am still trying to figure out how i remember things. by and large, i remember pictures and scenes... so my head is full of video and audio files. but i also seem to forget a lot of things too... i think i have selective attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i meant Video and Picture files. no audio! HAHA wrong wrong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you just proved that I am a man. I should write to the discovery channel. HAHA.

    BUT

    I think you generalized. I can be a good listener. Women may hear well, they may not listen well. Sometimes I wonder if women even listen (or for that matter, hear) in their bitching sessions. From my observation... they just wait for their turn. If you pay close attention, you may find that there may be no connection between person 1,2 and 3's topic when they're bitching. HAHA

    I think you will say I generalized.

    ReplyDelete